I'm back from Portland, back to the reality of work and 114 degree heat, but one morning from my recent trip lingers in my memory.
My hotel didn't have Versus as a cable choice, so I only managed to watch the Tour de France once in five days. Sunday morning I made a date to meet two of my sons, Monty and Niles, at St. Honore' Bakery in northwest Portland, where I knew they showed the tour on a large screen TV.
It was THE place to be.
It seemed that every hardcore biker (in a very hardcore biker town) was there. They rode their treks and cervelos down to 25th and Thurman to gather in their spandex, campanello hats, and race jerseys to watch the most important alpine stage of this year's Tour in the company of their peeps.
So, there I was, a cup of french press (of course) and a pain au raisin, surrounded by bike people obsessing (like me) over every detail of the race, and with my boys. I don't know when I've been happier.
Friday, July 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment